Trying Balinese Spicy and Delicious Sauce
As we know Bali is Paradise Island which has many awesome culture and tourist destination. Beside of that, Bali offers much delicious traditional food. Betutu chicken is one of them, but have you ever eaten Balinese spicy sauce which called by Sambel Bongkot. Before talk about Sambel Matah, you must know what is sambal? Sambal is sauce typically made from a variety of chili peppers and secondary ingredients such as shrimp paste, fish sauce, garlic, ginger, shallot, scallion, sugar, lime juice, and rice vinegar or other vinegars.
Sambal Bongkot Information
Bongkot (Balinese Language) or torch ginger is a young shoot or bud from Etlingera elatior and commonly used in cooking. They are inexpensive but it’s an indispensable ingredient used to flavour various kind of dishes. The characteristic describes at the pungent taste and aroma, one of the best smell in the world.
Sambal bongkot is very down to earth yet authentic condiment to the most Balinese, especially to all Balinese home cooking. The type of traditional condiment would be most wanted by all people, once you have taste it. Sambal bongkot is one of a kind, typical Balinese home cooking – as simple, humble yet delicious sambal that could definitely turn my world upside down.
• 10-11 shallots, finely sliced
• 7-8 bird eye chilies, sliced
• 2 bongkot (ginger torch), finely sliced and chopped
• 1 teaspoon toasted dried shrimp paste (terasi)
• 6 tablespoons coconut oil/canola oil
• salt to taste
• Heat the oil in wok over medium fire, add in slices of shallot, and fry until it just wilted.
• Add in slices of chilli, stir and quickly fry and then add-in bongkot, fry for another few seconds.
• Turn off the heat, toss in toasted dried shrimp paste (terasi) and season the sambal with salt.
• Using a fork, mix all ingredients until well incorporated.
• Dish up and serve with your favorite fish dishes or seafood dishes.
A perfect combination for Be Pasih Mepanggang and other grilled fish. This sambal the best partner of your lunch or dinner and make unique sensation of your scent mouth. Let’s try this sambal and you will get unforgettable experience.